December 4, 2019
Gluten Free and Lactose Free Eggplant Lasagna, in collaboration with Lucini.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazy am I for wearing a cream sweater during the entire cooking process of my gluten free and lactose free eggplant lasagna made with Lucini’s Organic Rustic Tomato Basil? Joel was eyeing me like a hawk the entire time because he was so stressed that I would get some on my sweater. Why didn’t I switch sweaters? I was cozy and it’s new so I HAD TO WEAR IT. Keep reading to see how it ended and for this epic lasagna recipe!
I’m a big tomato basil fan. That’s why I drooled all over my phone when Lucini reached out to collaborate with their organic rustic tomato basil sauce. I knew exactly what I was going to make too, my gluten free and lactose free eggplant lasagna! This lasagna was one of the first recipes I ever uploaded to whatrobineats.com but this time I’m making it lactose free because that’s my life now.
Lucini is prepped in small batches using 100% natural ingredients. They work with small regional farmers, celebrated chefs, health and wellness experts to continue to provide customers with an unmatched selection of ingredients, gourmet recipes, quality, assurance, and convenience. This is all a win-win in my book when it comes to choosing a company to collaborate with and feed to my family. In addition to organic sauces, Lucini Italia also offers premium extra virgin olive oil. You can learn more behind the bottle here.
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef (can leave out for a vegetarian version or add a meat substitute)
- 1 + 1/2 cups Lucini’s Organic Rustic Tomato Basil
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise into about 6-8 large slices
- 1/2 cup almond ricotta cheese (can use regular ricotta cheese if you’re not sensitive to dairy)
- 1/2 cup lactose free cottage cheese (can sub for more ricotta cheese if you’d like but I like this combo best)
- 1 pasture raised egg
- 2 tablespoons vegan parmesan cheese (can use regular)
- 1/2 cup almond mozzarella cheese shreds (can use regular)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cook the grass fed ground beef on a skillet. Break up the beef and cook for 5-8 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink.
- Next add the Lucini’s Organic Rustic Tomato Basil, basil, and dried oregano. Stir until well combined then turn heat to a simmer.
- Place sliced eggplant on large baking sheet lightly coated with EVOO. Sprinkle with sea salt and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes to help dry out the eggplant. After eggplant is done cooking, remove the skin. You can also peel the eggplant before slicing if you’d prefer. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the almond ricotta cheese, cottage cheese (or more ricotta), vegan parmesan, and egg until well combined. Remove the beef meat sauce from the heat and add 1/2 cup of meat sauce to the ricotta mixture.
- To assemble lasagna: spread 1/2 of the beef meat sauce into the bottom of a 8×8 inch baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray or EVOO. Place half of eggplant slices evenly over meat sauce, spread on 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, then sprinkle some almond mozzarella on top. Repeat layers again until all ingredients are used. Cover with foil and bake for 40 min. Remove foil and broil for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly on top. Makes about six servings!
The Lucini Organic Rustic Tomato Basil sauce really stepped my eggplant lasagna recipe up ten notches. I’m making it again tonight because I need this for the rest of the week! Click here to find Lucini Italia near you! Oh, and I prepped, cooked, shot images, and ate this lasagna without a spec of tomato basil red sauce on my cream sweater. WINNING!
Leave A Comment