Poppy wasn’t the only one who was a fan of these bbq lentil sloppy joe’s on gluten free buns last night. We’ve been doing our best to make each part of the day seem a little different while we’re at home. We enjoy breakfast at the counter, lunch in Poppy’s room at her table, and dinner recently has been on the patio! It has been so fun, and much needed, using our little space in so many different way. Very thankful for the sunshine the last two weeks because Poppy and I were getting very stir crazy.
Vegan BBQ Sauce:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Garlic powder to taste (you can use raw garlic but I prefer garlic powder)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water, divided
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp coconut aminos
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan pink salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne peppe
- Add the chopped onions and garlic powder to a heated pan on medium heat with a little nonstick cooking spray and sauté until golden. Using about 1/4 water if the onions begin to stick to the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the liquid reduces a little.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly before adding to a blender to blend until smooth. Store in the fridge for up to one week!
BBQ Lentil Sloppy Joe’s:
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- 1/2-3/4 cup homemade vegan bbq sauce
- 2 gluten free buns
- Pickles, optional but hugely recommended
- Heat the lentils on the stove top with the bbq sauce until warm. Toast your gluten free buns in the oven on broil for a few minutes and stuff with half the bbq lentil sloppy joe mixture and a couple pickles, enjoy!