Don’t be fooled, I didn’t eat the broccoli. But I did devour both lentil sloppy joe sliders and cauli-potato mash. Maybe next trimester I’ll eat a green vegetable.
Lentil Sloppy Joes:
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils (or use 1 pack of precooked lentils from Trader Joe’s like I did!)
- 4 cups water (omit if using precooked lentils)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or garlic powder to taste)
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2-3/4 cup marinara sauce (because that’s what I had on hand)
- 2 tbsp ketchup (or tomato paste)
- 3 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Sea salt to taste
- AWG Bakery Everyday slider buns
- First, cook the lentils if you’re not using precooked: In a medium pot with a lid, add the lentils and water. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until tender. Drain excess liquid and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped onion and garlic. Use a few tablespoons of water, or vegetable broth, to saute and prevent burning. Stir constantly for 3-4 minutes, using more water as needed.
- Now add the spices and stir to coat the vegetables for about 1 minute. Add a little water if it’s too dry.
- Add the marinara sauce, ketchup, mustard, and maple syrup. Stir until completely combined. Add in the cooked lentils and stir. Add more marinara sauce if it’s too dry.
- Toast your AWG Bakery buns and top with the goods.
Let me know if you try this recipe! Lentils and chickpeas have been a big lifesaver the last month with my aversion to meat. This happened when I was pregnant with Poppy too. Happy eating!