When you just don’t feel like strawberries. Paleo cherry shortcake was on the dessert menu last week and I can’t stop thinking about it. It was perfect topped with my vegan date caramel sauce too.
Paleo Cherry Shortcake:
- 3 tbsp melted and cooled coconut oil
- 2 eggs (I have not tried flax egg)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Scoop of dairy free vanilla ice cream, coconut whipped cream, or your favorite vanilla yogurt
- Small handful of chopped cherries
- Drizzle of homemade vegan date caramel sauce (soak 8 pitted dates in hot water for 15 minutes. Dispose of the water and blend the soaked dates together with 1/4 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, pinch of sea salt, and 2 tbsp maple syrup. You will need to scrape down the mixer from the side of the blender multiple times until the caramel is smooth. Add more milk if the mixer is too thick. Refrigerate for up to two weeks!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and spray two mini 6” cast iron skillets with nonstick spray or two 6” cake pans.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in the almond flour and baking powder until smooth and completely combined.
- Equally distribute into both cast iron skillets and bake in oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Let the shortcakes cool a little before slicing and topping.
This was actually my first time making shortcake and I can’t believe it took me this long. Who even am I?