Lemon Poppy Seed Baked Donuts, Low Sugar
These low sugar donuts are giving me all the summer feels! A lemony donuts that the whole fam devoured this morning.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 + 1/4 cups all purpose flour, may sub gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour. I have not tired any other flour
- 1 + 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 + 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 + 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg, at room temperature OR 1 flax egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously spray a donut pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sea salt, and poppy seeds; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the Lakanto Monkfruit sweetener and lemon zest; mix together with your fingers until zest is evenly distributed in the sugar.
- Add in the melted coconut oil and beat until combined. Add in the egg, vanilla extract, and lemon extract; beat well. Stir in milk.
- Add in the dry ingredients and gently fold the mixture together using a rubber spatula, stirring only until mixture is evenly combined.
- Pour to batter into a piping bag or a large zip lock bag with the corner cut off and pipe into 6 molds. You may have enough for a 7th so save the batter to bake an extra donut or two in a different batch.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together until smooth.
- Let the donuts cool slightly then dip into the glaze. Top with natural sprinkles if desired and enjoy!
Have you baked donuts before? Tap here for my favorite donut pans and bake these over the weekend.